Friday, October 14, 2011

One Big Test

One of the most challenging things to being like my Grandma B is to learn to sew. She was a fantastic seamstress and she actually made my wedding dress! 

When she passed away my Grandpa asked me if I wanted her sewing machines! They were almost brand new and the top of the line. Of course I jumped at the chance.

So this summer a group of friends of mine in town started a "Stitch and Bitch" every Thursday night. A quaint gathering where we work on sewing projects and typically drink wine and gossip! What more could you ask for on a Thursday night?  Lucky for me our host was a Home Ec teacher so she is very great at helping all of us with our different projects all at once.

My first project was a twirly dress for my daughter.  I saw the pattern on Etsy and thought it was so cute. I had no idea it was so complex. It used 3 yards of fabric, it had gathers and buttonholes and elastic bunched back.  I had to pick all the fabric and embellishments. The kicker was I had to get all the stuff from the hardware store 70 miles away! But I did it! It turned out darling and my daughter just loves it!

For my next project, I wanted to do something a little easier with quicker results so I made this little apron for my sister for her birthday which happens to be on All Saints Day! I think it is pretty cute. I love the little ball ribbon on the bottom.



I think that it is really great to be able to sew your own clothes but more important to me is the ability to continue on a legacy of a skill that not to many have any more.  I loved that about my Grandma and I hope that my Grandchildren will remember that about me too!

PS. Although I like writing this blog, I sometimes feel like I am doing a school paper. It always gives me a little pang of anxiety before I hit Publish Post. Just sayin.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the dress! I LOVE the sugarskulls on that apron! Did I mention I love your blog too? I have been waiting & waiting a new post from you! Yay! It's like waiting for a special magazine in the mail. (Chris is super impressed too.)

    I wish I could sew, but I don't feel so talented in that department even though I agree w/you about the importance of having that skill. If we have to make our own clothes in some disaster or economic crisis, Chris is going to have to do the sewing or we will all just go naked, lol.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete